The next installment in Atlus's post-apocalyptic RPG series Shin Megami Tensai is making its way to retail stores and the Nintendo eShop this summer.
Released in Japan back in February under the name SMT IV: Final, Atlus made the announcement on their website, giving details of the game and an explanation of the name change.
As posted on the site:
"So just to recap where we are at this point, we had to find a cool-sounding, impactful name that’s not too long and has to have an “A” in it. Oh, and we have to be cognizant of potential trademark infringements (so much for Shin Megami Tensei IV: End War), and it can’t be objectionable (“holy war” was shot down before the person suggesting it finished speaking). The only positive is that once you have all the constraints in place, it’s easier to start narrowing down the direction. There were numerous email threads, meetings, two whiteboards defaced with indelible marker, but we finally came to agreement and thus, the world will receive Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse later this year."
Persona Central also gave a plethora of features and some screenshots of the game. Here's the post:
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse will be released at retail stores and on the eShop, and it will cost $49.99 US / $64.99 CA.
It’s time for all things to end because Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse, (known as Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final) in Japan, will finally be arriving to the Americas. Overlapping the story of the original SMTIV, the upcoming game focuses a Hunter cadet protagonist who gets killed by one of the demons treating post-apocalyptic Tokyo as their personal playground. However, the mysterious god Dagda resurrects the protagonists in exchange for his fealty, and sets him on a perilous path that treads the fine line between peace and anarchy. Is Dagda simply just an opportunistic lesser god or is part of something much bigger?
The plot of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse overlaps with Shin Megami Tensei IV (and features some familiar characters), but no previous experience with the original is required!
The game features:
- Divine Intrigue – Choose between peace or anarchy while being a pawn in the gods’ chess game.
- Combat Partners – Hunting demons is dangerous, so count on some backup! Alongside the standard three demons, players will be able to rely on one of seven partners to help win battles.
- Oodles of Demons – Be on your guard because Tokyo is infested with a series record of over 450+ demons to fight, fuse, or recruit.
- Revamped Demon Fusion – Demons will have affinities for certain skills, so players can better plan the outcome of fusions.
- Classic SMT Combat – Prospective Hunters will exploit weaknesses, boost attributes, and unlock skill bonuses with the returning Press Turn and Smirking systems.
Apocalypse will be set in the same universe as SMT IV, which is a part of the central Megami Tensai series.