The Writer’s Guild of America has announced their nominees for Outstanding Videogame Writing. The six games, announced alongside the nominees in the new media category, include a couple surprising selections.
The full list is below.
– 007 Legends, Written by Bruce Feirstein, Activision
– Assassin’s Creed III, Story by Alex Hutchinson, Corey May, Matt Turner; Multiplayer Story by Richard Farrese, Jeffrey Yohalem; Lead Scriptwriter Corey May; Scriptwriter Nicholas Grimwood, Russell Lees, Matt Turner, Danny Wallace, Ceri Young; Ubisoft
– Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation, Scriptwriting by Richard Farrese, Jill Murray; Ubisoft
– Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, Writing Consultant Marv Wolfman; Disney Interactive Studios
– Halo 4, Narrative Design Christopher Schlerf; Microsoft Studios
– Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Writtern by John Garvin; Sony Computer Entertainment America
To be eligible for the award, the game had to be released between Dec. 1, 2011 and Nov. 30, 2012 and the writer(s) had to be members of the guild, so it is possible that some of the notable omissions from the list (Far Cry 3, Mass Effect 3, The Walking Dead) didn’t meet the requirements. Amy Hennig and Sony Computer Entertainment America won the award for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception last year.
The winners will be announced on Feb. 17 in New York City.