During their PAX East panel last weekend, Wizards of the Coast, creators of the deck building card game Magic the Gathering, announced that they will be having videogame designers and creators designing cards for the upcoming Magic 2015 Core Set expansion.
The first card revealed was Genesis Hydra by Plants vs Zombies designer George Fan.
The full list of game designers who are creating cards for the 2015 Core Set are as follows:
- Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins: Gabe & Tycho, creators of Penny Arcade
- Markus “Notch” Persson: Creator of Minecraft and founder of Mojang
- Richard Garriot: Creator of the Ultima series
- David Sirlin: Designer on Super Street Figher II Turbo HD Remix
- Rob Pardo: Chief creative officer at Blizzard, lead designer of World of Warcraft
- Isaiah Cartwright: Lead game designer for Guild Wars 2
- Justin Gary: Designer of Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer and Solforge
- Stone Librande: Lead designer of Diablo 3, creative director of SimCity
- Brian Fargo: Founder of Interplay Entertainment and inXile Entertainment
- Mike Neumann: Gearbox Software, creative director on Borderlands
- James Ernest: Owner and lead designer for Cheapass Games
- Edmund McMillen: Indie designer of Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac
- Brad Muir: Game designer at Double Fine Productions, project lead on Iron Brigade
In addition, there will be cards in the set that members of the Magic community have submitted, reviewed, and voted on in the past.
The Magic 2015 Core Set will release on July 15th 2014.
The newest videogame iteration of Magic the Gathering, Magic 2015: Duels of the Planeswalkers will release later this year on Xbox One, Xbox 360, iPad, Steam, Android, and Google Play.