Netflix has announced additional voice cast joining The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, the prequel series to the beloved film The Dark Crystal.
Based on Jim Henson’s groundbreaking 1982 feature film, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance tells a new tale set long before the events of the movie and realized using classic puppetry with cutting-edge visual effects. The Crystal of Truth is at the heart of Thra, a source of untold power. But it is damaged, corrupted by the evil Skeksis, and a sickness spreads across the land. When three Gelfling uncover the horrific truth behind the power of the Skeksis, an adventure unfolds as the fires of rebellion are lit and an epic battle for the planet begins.
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will premier on Netflix on August 30th, 2019, consisting of 10 one-hour episodes. It also has a tactical RPG called The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics coming to all consoles and PC sometime in 2019. With any luck, this will give fans and newcomers a satisfying taste of the high-production puppet shows we see so few of. If you’re looking for more, you could check out the Japanese-Taiwanese wuxia show Thunderbolt Fantasy.
The newly announced voice cast includes:
- Lena Headey (Game of Thrones) as Maudra Fara
- Benedict Wong (Avengers: Endgame) as The General
- Awkwafina (Crazy Rich Asians) as The Collector
- Sigourney Weaver as The Myth-Speaker (Voice only)
- Hannah John-Kamen (Ant-Man and The Wasp) as Naia
- Dave Goelz (The Dark Crystal) as Baffi, a Fizzgig
Previously announced voice cast are noted below.
- Taron Egerton (Kingsman) as Rian
- Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch) as Brea
- Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones) as Deet
- Caitriona Balfe (Outlander) as Tavra
- Helena Bonham Carter (The King’s Speech) as All-Maudra
- Harris Dickinson (the upcoming Maleficent 2) as Gurjin
- Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones) as Onica
- Eddie Izzard (Ocean’s Thirteen) as Cadia
- Theo James (The Divergent Series) as Rek’yr
- Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) as Librarian
- Shazad Latif (Star Trek: Discovery) as Kylan
- Gugu Mbatha-Raw (The Cloverfield Paradox) as Seladon
- Mark Strong (Kingsman) as Ordon
- Alicia Vikander (Tomb Raider) as Mira
The Skeksis & Mystics:
- Harvey Fierstein (Torch Song Trilogy) as The Gourmand
- Mark Hamill (Child’s Play, Star Wars) as The Scientist
- Ralph Ineson (Game of Thrones) as The Hunter
- Jason Isaacs (The OA) as The Emperor
- Keegan-Michael Key (Toy Story 4) as The Ritual Master
- Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (True Detective) as The Archer
- Simon Pegg (Mission Impossible) as The Chamberlain
- Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine Nine) as The Heretic
Aughra will be voiced by Donna Kimball (The Happytime Murders).
Additional characters will also be voiced by their puppeteers from the production, including:
- Alice Dinnean as The Ornamentalist
- Louise Gold as Maudra Argot
- Neil Sterenberg as The Scroll-Keeper
- Victor Yerrid as Hup
Additionally, Dinnean, Beccy Henderson, and Sterenberg are the puppeteers for lead characters Brea, Deet, and Rian, respectively. Core puppeteers for the production also include Warrick Brownlow-Pike, Dave Chapman, Kevin Clash, Damian Farrell, Helena Smee, Kat Smee, and Olly Taylor.