In a massive presentation in the Massey Hall, the Prime Video Presents Canada showcase gave viewers an inside look at what originals are coming next, with original Canadian productions.
The event gave fans what many have been clamouring for, more original content. With the showcase, Prime Video seems to keep the ball rolling with not only their original content, but a focus on giving viewers more Canada-centred content as all the announcements given were Prime Canada productions.
Head of Prime Video Canada, Magda Grace said, “We have already had success in Canada with local content including All or Nothing: Toronto Maple Leafs and LOL: Last One Laughing Canada. The slate shared today demonstrates our focus and investment in developing the highest quality content for our Prime members in Canada,” regarding the services double down on Canadian original content, with “Our roots in Canada run deep with productions like The Boys, Reacher, The Man in the High Castle, The Expanse, and Upload being shot in Canada, but now our slate of Canadian Amazon Originals underlines our investment in the local creative community and commitment to our Canadian audiences.”
With this newfound commitment, the showcase gave six new trailers to already announced projects, along with four new announcements to their original content lineup for Canadian audiences.
Prime Video Canada Presents Originals
- The Sticky – An English language speaking series helmed by showrunners Brian Donovan, Ed Herro, and Kathryn Borel, is a comedy that focuses loosely on the “Great Maple Syrup Heist” true story back in 2011. Filming starts in the fall, in Montreal, and will release worldwide.
- The Kids in the Hall – A revival of the classic that first aired in 1989, The Kids in the Hall brings their iconic level of debauchery back to the small screen, worldwide, for Prime Video on May 13. The sketch comedy centred series revolves around the initial five timeless Canadian comedians Dave Foley, Bruce McCulloch, Kevin McDonald, Mark McKinney, and Scott Thompson in an epic return. Fans can see the trailer below.
- The Kids in the Hall: Comedy Punks – beyond just the massive revival, a two-part documentary series that details the rise of the original show, and how the revival came to be. This companion documentary arrives on May 20.
- An untitled documentary on the band The Tragically Hip, outlining 40 years of their storied history, by prominent award-winning Canadian documentary director, Mike Downie.
- The Lake – airing on June 17
- Three Pines – airing in early 2023 at a TBD date
- The Unsolved Murder of Beverly Lynn Smith – airing on May 6, and the trailer can be found on YouTube.
- LOL: Qui Rira Le Dernier? – which is set to air later this year, after filming this Spring.
- Gary and His Demons – an animated series from creator Mark Little, set to relaunch this Fall, with Season Two coming right afterwards.
- Sugar – A Canadian Prime Video Original film, set to release this Fall, with a worldwide distribution following shortly after.
With this new lineup of Prime Video Canadian Originals, the showcase gave fans many titles to be excited about, and worldwide to boot, giving prominence to Canadian-based production globally. With a massive lineup of many genres, including an animated series, a sketch comedy show, and even documentaries, there is truly something for everyone.
As the Head of Originals, Canada, Amazon Studios, Christina Wayne said, “Canada has incredible stories to tell, and we have been fortunate enough to work with the best local producers, directors, writers, and actors to start to bring these stories to our Prime members in Canada.”