Epic Adopts New 88/12 Rate for Their Unreal Engine Marketplace from 70/30

Epic Adopts New 88/12 Rate for Their Unreal Engine Marketplace from 70/30

Epic announces that they will be shifting from their standard 70/30 revenue split to a generous 88/12 for their Unreal Engine Marketplace, their online storefront for Unreal assets and technologies.

88/12 means that Epic will only take in 12% of any revenue garnered through any sold assets from the Unreal Engine Marketplace, the creator’s on the other, will reap the rewards with an 88% cut intake. Shockingly, the new terms have gone into effect retroactively, meaning, all transactions from the past 4 years will be taken into the new 88/12 rate.

Of course, the phenomena and juggernaut that is Fortnite, more specifically, the Battle Royale mode within the game is the cause behind Epic’s ability to give such desirable cuts. With Epic’s boss, Tim Sweeney weighing in on the matter, stating,

“Thanks to both the Marketplace’s growth and the success of Fortnite, Epic now conducts a huge volume of digital commerce,” Sweeney explained. “The resulting economies of scale enable us to pass the savings along to the Unreal Engine Marketplace community, while also making a healthy profit for Epic.”

No specifics in terms of what Epic is paying has been made public, however, a 12/88 rate compounded by 4 years means a lot of happy content creators.

“It is incredibly refreshing and even inspiring when a giant like Epic is able to move forward with a strong move that will not just help sellers on the Unreal Engine Marketplace, but should eventually ripple to all sellers of all game assets around the world,” Gamemakin director Michael Allar said in a statement. “There are still many challenges that game development marketplace sellers face, but finally, we can rejoice that one of our biggest obstacles for self-sustainability has been knocked down with such force.”

Epic did share numbers regarding a 30% in marketplace sellers, a number that should will more than likely grow thanks to the new business model issued by Epic.

Liked this article and want to read more like it? Check out the article on Whether the Overwatch League Can Survive Expansion and our Interview with Overwatch Voice Actress Lucie Pohl.

Want to see more videos? Subscribe to our YouTube channel and check out the First 15: Fe, Monster Hunter World Beta: the Insatiable Nergigante, Dissidia Final Fantasy NT,  Star Wars Battlefront II, Sonic Forces + Episode Shadow, and  Super Mario Odyssey!

Don’t forget to tune in every Friday the Pixels & Ink Podcast to hear the latest news, previews, and in-depth game discussions!

Never miss when new CGM articles go out by following us on Twitter and Facebook!

CGMagazine is Canada’s premiere comics and gaming magazine. Subscribe today to get the best of CGM delivered right to your door!

Latest Stories

cgm recommends holiday gifts for tech lovers 2022 985950

CGM Recommends: Holiday Gifts for Tech Lovers 2022

need for speed unbound xbox series x review 677252

Need For Speed Unbound (Xbox Series X) Review

cgm recommends best stocking stuffers 2022 536170

CGM Recommends: Best Stocking Stuffers 2022

world of warcraft dragonflights team takes us to the dragon isles 397614

World of Warcraft: Dragonflight’s Team Takes us to The Dragon Isles

10 decks to build in marvel snap 659173

MARVEL SNAP: The 10 Best Decks You Need To Try