Warner Bros Home Entertainment has announced a newly remastered Commemorative Edition of Batman: Year One, in celebration of the animated film’s 10th anniversary.
The new edition features a 4K ultra-HD remaster of the 2011 film, along with a brand-new feature called Reinventing Gordon. Releasing on November 9 physically and digitally, the pack will retail for $33.99.
Batman: Year One is based on the award-winning comic of the same name. Here’s the official description,
“The film depicts young Bruce Wayne’s return to Gotham City in his first attempt to fight injustice as a costumed Super Hero. The playboy billionaire chooses the guise of a giant bat to combat crime, creates an early bond with a young Lieutenant James Gordon (who is already battling corruption from inside the police department), inadvertently plays a role in the birth of Catwoman, and helps to bring down a crooked political system that infests Gotham City.”
Fans can get a sneak peek of the new Reinventing Gordon feature during the fan event DC FanDome, which takes place on Saturday, October 16 at 10 a.m. PDT. Outside of Reinventing Gordon, here are all the other features that the Commemorative Edition includes.
- Featurette – Reinventing Gordon (New) – An examination of the history of James Gordon through comics, animation, and feature films.
- Featurette – Conversations with DC Comics – The Batman creative team at DC discusses the personal influence of Batman: Year One on their careers. Batman producer Michael Uslan leads the chat amongst well-known writers, editors, and artists of Batman lore, focusing on the darker, realistic interpretation of Batman’s origins by Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli.
- Audio Commentary – Featuring co-producer Alan Burnett, co-director Sam Liu, DC creative director Mike Carlin and casting/dialogue director Andrea Romano.
- Featurette – Heart of Vengeance: Returning Batman to His Roots – “The Dark Knight Returns” provided the dénouement of Batman’s life. Frank Miller’s next seminal work would provide his near-mythic origin in “Batman: Year One.” This documentary spotlights the contemporary genius of Miller and the audience that was poised to appreciate the depths of his work.
- DC Showcase – Catwoman (2011 Animated Short) – The felonious feline’s adventure takes her through the seedy streets of Gotham City. Eliza Dushku reprises her Batman: Year One role as the voice of Catwoman. The short is directed by Lauren Montgomery (Batman: Year One) from a script by Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series).
- DC Universe Movies Flashback
- Batman: Soul of the Dragon
- Batman: The Long Halloween, Part One
- Batman: The Long Halloween, Part Two