In the annual Disney+ Day celebration, the streaming juggernaut unveiled many new tidbits of information alongside the platforms plans for exclusive content.
Disney+ Day is an event the platform hosts in honour of all of its content, and upcoming content for fans who utilize the platform. This year, at its second annual event, information regarding upcoming exclusives and previously announced projects have been revealed.
Disney is also the parent company of Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, and more, giving the streaming platform a huge amount of original content for its many fans of many genres. The announcement Disney made today details the plans the exciting company has for the future regarding its exclusive content.
Disney+ Day Announced Titles from Disney
In what seems to be the norm nowadays in media a reimagining of Cheaper by the Dozen, a former Steve Martin led film is in the works starring Zach Braff (Scrubs) and Gabrielle Union (LA’s Finest). The release of the dozen is set for March 2022.
A sequel to the hit rom-com Enchanted titled Disenchanted was formally announced, stars Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey are set to reprise their roles. Fans can prepare to be enchanted in the Fall of 2022.
A shocking announcement came in the form of plans to animate Diary of a Wimpy Kid by the author Jeff Kinney. The art style is true to the original stories, while also remaining fresh. The release date of this animated series is December 3 of this year. Kinney also confirmed the plans for a second film called Rodrick Rules, based on the hit children’s book series is also in the works, slated to land 2022.
Hocus Pocus 2 was confirmed as starring the original witch sister trio of Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy in the sequel to the horror film classic. The film is set to stream exclusively on Disney+ in Fall 2022.
Disney+ announced a new live-action series based on the hit novel series written by Holly Black and Tony DiTerlizzi, The Spiderwick Chronicles is a coming-of-age fantasy adventure story. The series follows the Grace Family—twin brothers Jared and Simon, their sister Mallory and mother Helen—as they move into their run-down ancestral home. They begin to uncover a dark mystery about their great-great Uncle, who discovered the secret Faerie world.
Many more announcements were made for Disney+ Day including:
- Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers a new animated movie starring Disney’s beloved chipmunk duo streams on Disney+ in Spring 2022.
- The Beatles: Get Back is Peter Jackson’s upcoming docuseries featuring the legendary rock band, and it starts streaming on Disney+ on November 25.
- Better Nate Than Ever is a story based on the book by author Tim Federle, and will premiere on Disney+ in Spring 2022.
- Pinocchio is a story inspired directly from the animated classic that showed a puppets willingness to become a real boy. This live action reimagining stars Tom Hanks, Cynthia Erivo, Luke Evans and features the voices of Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Keegan-Michael Key and Lorraine Bracco. Pinocchio premieres on Disney+ in Fall 2022.
- The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild sees actor Simon Pegg return as Buck in the newest entry of the Ice Age franchise. It premieres January 28 on Disney+.
- Sneakerella is a Disney+ original movie that is set in New York City. The film puts a spin on the classic Cinderella fairy tale. It premieres exclusively on Disney+ on February 18.
- The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder is the new series based on the Disney Channel series from the 2000s and it starts streaming February 2022.
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series is onto its third season and features the cast heading to a sleepaway camp filled with romance.
- Baymax another new Disney+ Original Series, starts streaming exclusively on Disney+ in Summer 2022.
- Zootopia+, a new short-form series coming to Disney+ in 2022.
- Tiana announced that Stella Meghie (The Photograph) will be director and writer of the new animated musical series, coming to Disney+ in 2023.
- Disney Intertwined (Entrelazados) is the first Disney+ original series produced in Latin America. It is available now on the streaming service.
With all of these new Disney+ Day announcements, there will be tons of quality content available on the streaming platform in the near future. But Disney+ Day wasn’t finished just yet as more announcements surely followed.
Pixar Disney+ Day Announcements
CCO of Pixar, Pete Docter, then pulled back the curtain on what Pixar has been working on for the future, including two documentaries that explore the creation of the new film Lightyear and Turning Red that outline the creative process utilized in making the animated films. These documentaries are set to air in 2022 exclusively for Disney+.
Larry the Cable Guy then showed fans a look at the newest representation of the Cars Pixar series, titled Cars on the Road. The new series features beloved Cars characters Lightning McQueen and his trusty friend Mater on a road trip that is scheduled to air in a TBD of 2022.
In Disney Pixar’s first-ever long-form animated series, Win or Lose, fans are treated to a close look at individual middle school characters preparing for a championship volleyball game and how it all comes together. The series will stream exclusively on Diney+ in 2023 and is directed by Michael Yates and Carrie Hobson.
Marvel Disney+ Day Announcements
Marvel announced a slew of new content the studio is working on for Disney+ Day, which include:
Hawkeye is a series announced by Marvel that stars the MCU’s Jeremy Renner as the titular character like in the films. Hawkeye needs to return to his family for Christmas, but assuredly stuff happens. Set in New York, Hawkeye teams up with another archer, Kate Bishop in order to unravel a criminal plot instead. The new series stars Hailee Steinfeld, Vera Farmiga, Fra Fee, Tony Dalton, and Alaqua Cox, with Executive Producer Rhys Thomas and directing duo Bert & Bertie at the helm and executive producer Jonathan Igla is head writer. The series airs on November 24 exclusively on Disney+.
A series based on Moon Knight is in the works featuring the vigilante that suffers from dissociative identity disorder based on the character in Marvel Comics. Directed by executive producer Mohamed Diab and penned by lead writer Jeremy Slater. The series is coming to Disney+ in 2022.
She-Hulk is coming and it stars Tatiana Maslany as the titular character. The series also features Mark Ruffalo’s Hulk from the MCU and will introduce many new faces in the Marvel universe to the series. The series is directed by executive producer Kat Coiro with Anu Valia, and executive producer Jessica Gao serves as head writer.
Many more exciting Marvel announcements followed which includes:
- Ms. Marvel live-action series debuting in Summer 2022
- Echo, a series starring Alaqua Cox as Maya Lopez, introduced in Hawkeye.
- Ironheart a series starring Dominique Thorne as Riri Williams, a genius inventor who creates the most advanced suit of armor since Iron Man
- Agatha: House of Harkness a spin-off series starring Kathryn Hahn as her character from WandaVision.
- Secret Invasion, starring Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Ben Mendelsohn as the Skrull Talos, whom first met in Captain Marvel.
- The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special, written and directed by Guardians of the Galaxy veteran James Gunn.
- X-MEN ‘97, an animated series from Marvel Studios that explores new stories in the iconic ‘90s canon from the original.
- What If…? (Season 2), the second season of the animated series.
- Spider-Man: Freshman Year an animated series that follows Peter Parker on his way to becoming Spider-Man in the MCU, with a new take on a familiar characters origins that follow the character’s early comic book roots.
- I Am Groot, a series of shorts exploring Baby Groot’s glory days growing up.
- Marvel Zombies, the animated series from Marvel Studios that does another reimagining of the ever expansive Marvel Universe as a new generation of heroes battle against an ever-spreading zombie scourge
Lucasfilm Disney+ Day Announcements
Disney+ Day continued into its announcements for Lucasfilm which include:
Information regarding the highly anticipated Ewan McGregor lead series Obi-Wan Kenobi. Exclusive behind-the-scenes footage was shown by the starring actor and Director Deborah Chow. The series is set to begin sometime in 2022. Chow stated “We couldn’t tell the story of Obi-Wan Kenobi without addressing Anakin or Vader,” while showing brief glimpses of concept art.
Under the Helmet: The Legacy of Boba Fett was detailed, saying it’s a celebration of the galactic bounty hunter. The special is available to stream now on Disney+.
Lastly, Willow the new film series outlined the supporting cast. Warwick Davis introduces the supporting cast, including Ruby Cruz (Mare of Easttown), Erin Kellyman (The Falcon and The Winter Soldier), Ellie Bamber (The Serpent), Tony Revolori (Spider-Man: No Way Home), Amar Chadha Patel (The Third Day) and Dempsey Bryk (The Birch), and fans can watch the announcement on Youtube.
National Geographic also had three noteworthy announcements for Disney+ Day with a Will Smith starring series that sees the famous actor travel around the globe in a lifetime experience titled Welcome to Earth. the six-part series airs on December 8 on Disney+.
Another six-parter was announced in America The Beautiful, which aims to highlight some of nature’s beauty around the continent. This series airs in 2022 on Disney +.
Lastly to conclude the National Geographic announcements, Marvel’s Thor onscreen, and Chris Hemsworth offscreen stars in a series that aims to break the limits of human body conditioning in Limitless with Chris Hemsworth. The also six-part series starts streaming in 2022 also.
Disney+ Day’s announcements were numerous and very exciting for fans of the streaming platform. There is a plethora of new content that is designed to whet anyone’s appetite for quality that Disney is known for providing. Disney+ Day outlined why Disney+ is a service that is worth having. Notably, the service is available to sign up for a meager $1.99 until November 14, and fans who want to renew their subscriptions can do that for the same price here.
Fans who wish to watch all of these exciting announcements can find them all on the Disney+ Day announcement page on Disney+, and those who want to keep up with Disney+ news can follow their Twitter to stay in the loop.