Tactics Ogre: Reborn, the long-rumoured remaster and revival of the cult-classic strategy RPG series, has officially been confirmed at last, with a host of new renovations.
Strategy RPG enthusiasts have been eating well over the last couple of years with titles such as Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Disgaea 6, and Triangle Strategy, with even the Indie scene embracing the genre with titles like Dark Deity for the Switch. But the classic Tactics Ogre strategy RPG series has finally resurfaced after 12 years of dormancy—albeit after months of swirling rumours.
Based on the 2010 PSP remaster of the 1995 Super Famicom original, Let Us Cling Together, Tactics Ogre: Reborn offers totally overhauled visuals for modern consoles. Thankfully, many of the issues with previous versions have been completely overhauled to make a more cohesive experience for those wishing to return to the Valerian Isles or those setting out on this grand adventure for the first time. Here are the notable improvements:
Tactics Ogre: Reborn Improvements
- High Definition Visuals: characters & backgrounds have been sharpened in high definition, but not so much as to remove the classic feel
- Overhauled UI: to allow players an easier understanding of the control scheme, with easier to read information
- Sound: A full voice cast has been included, battle sounds have been refreshed for immersive purpose, and renowned Tactics Ogre composer Hatoshi Sakimoto rerecorded the entire soundtrack in HD with brand new tracks
- A completely overhauled character levelling system
- Playability Improvements: a significant game speed increase, and more adaptable AI
The Tactics Ogre series’ main claim to fame has long been its influence on a more prominent franchise. Director Yasumi Matsuno was later recruited to Squaresoft to create Final Fantasy Tactics, which became a foundational entry in the strategy RPG genre and introduced the popular setting of Ivalice for several other Square titles. Now fans will have a chance to see where it all began, standing on its own merits.
Tactics Ogre: Reborn will launch November 11 on PS4, PS5, Switch, and PC, so fans anticipating the remaster won’t have to wait much longer. For a refresher on the Tactics Ogre history, Square Enix released an article to get fans back up to speed before release.