Ubisoft has announced it will not be releasing a new Assassin’s Creed in 2019.
News of this comes from company CEO Yves Guillemot, who, according to a report from GameSpot, explained at GamesCom that Ubisoft will continue to support the upcoming Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey in 2019 rather than continue the annualized release schedule of the series next year.
“What you’ll have is lots of content coming on [Assassin’s Creed Odyssey],” said Guillemot. “The team really want to give, on a regular basis, some new possibilities for play, so when you get [Odyssey] this year, you’re going to get in for a couple of years, actually.”
Prior to last year’s Assassin’s Creed: Origins, Ubisoft had been releasing a new game in the series each year since 2009’s Assassin’s Creed II. According to Guillemot, the additional time spent on Origins and Odyssey has given developers more room to expand the series beyond its usual template.
“[The time] gave the team the possibility to really bring what they wanted to,” said Guillemot. “The community has been responding very well to it and when I see what we are bringing with Odyssey I know that the community that got back in with Origins will be amazed.”
Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey is set to launch on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One on October 5, and is focusing on player choice in a way the series hasn’t done prior.
During the series’ hiatus in 2016, Ubisoft launched a film adaptation of the series instead featuring X-Men actor Michael Fassbender in the lead role. The movie was poorly received by critics, currently holding a 19% fresh rating on review aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes.
For more on Assassin’s Creed, check out CGM’s review of Assassin’s Creed: Origins, where we called it “the best sandbox world Ubisoft has made to date,” but also criticized its ” half-baked combat system and poor RPG mechanics.”