The latest PS5 system update arrived on Thursday, adding DualSense Edge support as well as a myriad of other improvements to ‘system performance’.
It’s that time again when gamers have to update the software for their PS5 consoles, but this time it adds support for the upcoming DualSense Edge controller while also pressing the issue that “Version: 22.02-06.00.01 This system software update improves system performance.” The DualSense Edge’s trailer can be seen below for those who aren’t familiar with the upcoming anticipated peripheral announced back in August.
While the DualSense Edge is exciting enough, its release is still a marked two weeks away on January 26. The PlayStation System software post details some of the changes coming to PS5 after installing the new update, with some quality-of-life improvements.
PS5 Update Improvements
- Gamelist creation to better catalogue digital games under ‘Game Library’ had been added.
- Game Help now informs the player when there’s help available, on PS5 and mobile via PlayStation App.
- 1440p HDMI video output is now supported.
- While in a party, you can request members to share their screen and watch their gameplay.
- When you join a party, and a party member is playing a game that you can join, you’ll now receive a notification. You can join the game directly from the notification.
- When you receive a message, you can now view the sender’s profile with ease by selecting the message and pressing the options button.
- In-progress activities can now be shown prominently at the top of the game hub to make it as easy and as fast as possible to get back to where you left off.
- While using the web browser, you can now select between two types of zoom functions, Zoom and Magnify which have different functionality.
- You can now listen and compare the difference between 3D and stereo audio on the same screen.
- Voice Command now supports searching for content in YouTube using voice. Currently, Voice Command (Preview) is only available in English for players with PSN accounts in the US and UK.
From anywhere on the PS5, including during gameplay, you can say “Hey PlayStation, search for [keyword] to YouTube.” The YouTube app will open and relevant search results will be shown.
- We’ve updated the DualSense wireless controller device software to improve stability.
- An issue causing system software errors during rest mode in some PS5 consoles was resolved.
Besides the list above, PlayStation goes further into depth on all of the marked improvements on the PS5 system software update page. But, besides “The DualSense Edge wireless controller is now supported,” it doesn’t necessarily expand on whether or not there were any issues syncing the controller that needed fixing. In any case, the DualSense Edge launches on January 26.