Here is a guide to help you know when and where to keep up with the Crunchyroll Anime Awards 2023 coming next year.
The Crunchyroll Anime Awards 2023 may appear far with its March 4th livestream and in-person presentation date, but it will be fast approaching—with fan voting opening sooner than later. This year’s program will be livestreamed worldwide, along with the physical presentation taking place at the Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa in Tokyo, Japan. So far, the nomination categories, judges and hosts have been announced.
Last year’s ceremony welcomed 17 million votes from fans in about 235 countries and territories. Crunchyroll claimed this will be the biggest show to date, as it has finally moved back to its in-person roots back in 2017.
This seventh edition of the awards show will most likely see the latest, noteworthy and critically-acclaimed anime films and TV shows of 2022. I expect to see One Piece Film: Red versus Jujutsu Kaisen 0 in the film category(ies); or I can see how Spy x Family, My Hero Academia Season 6, Chainsaw Man and Attack on Titan: The Final Season Part 2 fighting for that glorious Anime of the Year spot.
The first round of voting for nominations will see a massive panel of judges, comprising industry insiders and media professionals from different anime backgrounds, will narrow down six nominees for each category. Then, round two of voting would be where the fans vote for their favourites out of the six nominees in each category. The grand winner of each category would then be announced at the awards show.
There will be over 50 judges who have been meticulously chosen with industry experts and professionals from diverse backgrounds and tastes of anime. The full list could be found on the Crunchyroll site.
The nominees will be announced closer to the voting period in January 2023.
Voting will take place between January 19, 2023 at 9 a.m. PT to January 25 at 5 p.m. PT. More details will be revealed closer to January, but fans will have this window of opportunity to vote on their favourite anime films and shows in each category.
The awards show will proudly be presented by voice actor Sally Amaki (Carol Olston in Tomo-chan Is a Girl!) and pop entertainer Jon Kabira. Amaki shared in the delight of hosting this year’s awards show, “I’m very excited to see which anime will win in each category! I will do my best to host this exciting event!”
Here is a list of all of the categories that will be announced at the awards ceremony, as listed on the Awards web page:
- Special Achievement Award – This award serves to recognize a person, studio, or company (in the past or the present) that has impacted the industry in a remarkable way. Without their contributions, anime would not be where it is today, so this award implies reaching legendary status.
- Best Original Anime – An original anime is not adapted from source material; it is entirely a unique creation. While that itself is an accomplishment, these shows also present an impactful and entertaining story that elevates the title to another level.
- Best Character Design -. This category celebrates artists who have either created iconic anime characters or breathed life into one from other sources like manga or light novels. Thanks to their understanding of design principles, great character designers can tell a story from how someone is drawn, while the legendary ones create characters you recognize by their silhouette.
- Best Animation – Here we recognize anime that are visually stunning in the ways they bring their stories to life. No matter the style of animation, these shows provide a visual feast for viewers to enjoy, immersing audiences into previously unimaginable worlds.
- Best Continuing Series – Sustaining excellence is no small feat, particularly when it comes to anime. Considering all the creativity, effort, and planning that goes into one season, the ability to hold a fan’s attention year after year is worthy of celebration.
- Best Romance – A great romance can thaw the heart of the coldest cynic. These captivating stories draw us in and remind us of the best part of being alive. With their hopeful messages, these shows find a way to make you believe in the power of love.
- Best Fantasy – Best Fantasy is all about imagination, creativity, and a bit of magic. These shows don’t just take us to other worlds, they craft deep, original universes full of mythical creatures where even the smallest detail is fueled by ideas that previously were unthought.
- Best Comedy – Whether they catch you off guard with a unique point of view, or the dialogue seems crafted by a stand-up comedian, these are the shows that make you laugh out loud and have your side hurting by the end.
- Presenter’s Choice – Crunchyroll has invited a special guest to present an award of their choice to an honored contributor. It is an opportunity to recognize a person, studio, or company for a variety of reasons, including celebrating a milestone, overcoming something daunting, or achieving something inspirational. NOTE: This winner is determined by the special guest(s).
- Best Score – A vital part of an unforgettable anime is the original music composed for it. A well-crafted score adds another dimension of depth and emotion to any scene with compositions that are not only tightly associated with an anime, but can also stand alone as masterpieces of music.
- Best Anime Song – This category recognizes a vocalist, instrumental, soloist, duo, group, or collaborative recording played during any part of an anime series. These are the songs that get stuck in your head, make you want to sing along, or give you a rush of emotion.
- Best Film – Here we celebrate non-episodic anime with runtimes longer than a standard episode, whether they were released in theaters, on DVD, or online. The best of the best live up to the hype, leaving fans wondering where the time went.
- Best Director – To paraphrase Hayao Miyazaki, “An anime is a reflection of its director.” Of central importance, directors work behind the scenes, conveying their vision and imagination to animators, making critical decisions, and managing the creative aspects of production.
- Anime of the Year – This is the show that sets the standard for anime over the last year, towering over all others. Its compelling story, beautiful artistic execution, unforgettable characters all combine in a unique way to create a masterpiece that deserves singular recognition. Whether the show was an unexpected hit, or delivered on fans’ high expectations, Anime of the Year represents absolute excellence.
Then, there are the categories awarded during the fan stream:
- Best Main Character – Whether hero, anti-hero, or villain, a main character is the face of their series. But it’s not just their personalities or characteristics that make them beloved, it’s their well-developed stories and the journeys they take us on that make them worthy.
- Best Supporting Character – This category celebrates sidekicks like they were number one. Supporting characters come in all shapes and sizes, but the best among them are able to shine as bright as their main character counterparts when called upon.
- “Must Protect At All Costs” Character – These are the characters that make the world feel like a kinder, more special place. Whether they’re an earnest protagonist who always gets back up or a pure hearted cinnamon roll who holds a group together, these characters remind us that there are some things in life worth protecting.
- Best New Series – While countless new anime are created each year, this category honors the series and spin-offs that stand out. These instant classics possess something unique that keep viewers transfixed and passionately awaiting season two.
- Best Opening Sequence – Through striking visuals and irresistible music, a great opening sequence sets the table for what’s to come. Whether it’s creating a quirky mood for an off-beat rom-com, or striking a dark and serious tone for suspense, a memorable opening has as much creativity and passion as the show it introduces.
- Best Ending Sequence – Similar to the opening, an unforgettable ending sequence pairs design and music to delight and surprise. Often a place where the art style can be taken in entirely new directions, a great closing sequence lets viewers catch their breath and enjoy small moments with a character.
- Best Action – This category rewards a show that has action at its core. These titles should leave the audience with their hearts pounding, their palms sweaty, and everyone gasping for breath at the mind-blowing sequences that were depicted.
- Best Drama – These anime convey something essential about the human experience. Their mastery of building and relieving tension sets fans on the edge of their seats, feeling all their feelings, compelling them to invest deeply in the characters and their stories.
- Best Voice Artist Performance: Renowned voice artists not only breathe additional life into design, they also re-envision what a character sounds like in a different language. Through their command of tone and the emotions their voices elicit, these talented artists add depth, transforming anime characters into anime icons. This award will be honored to voice actors across Arabic, Castilian, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese and Spanish.