Today’s World of Warcraft: Dragonflight reveal also brought the Wrath of the Lich King Classic announcement, which was absent from this morning’s leaks.
“We’re thrilled to revisit one of the most beloved eras in Warcraft history with Wrath of the Lich King Classic,” said Mike Ybarra, President of Blizzard Entertainment. “The original release of this expansion brought many improvements to the game, along with a timeless villain and an epic story. We’re taking care to preserve the authentic Classic experience for those looking to relive their glory days in Northrend—and deliver a worthy and accessible re-creation for those embarking on this vast adventure for the first time.”
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Classic features include:
- The Grim Frozen North: Players will begin their journey in one of two zones in Northrend—Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord—and experience some of the most epic vistas and beloved storylines in all of Warcraft before breaching the seat of the Lich King’s power in Icecrown.
- The Rise of Death Knights: Available to both factions and starting at level 55, Death Knights—WoW’s first hero class—harness the powers of darkness to help combat the evil that threatens Azeroth.
- New profession—Inscription: This new profession allows players to scribe mystical gylphs that alter the appearance and modify the properties of spells and abilities, as well as craft powerful trinkets and off-hand items.
- Achievements Unlocked: Achievements are coming to WoW Classic, giving players a whole new set of rewards for their exploits and accomplishments.
- Dungeons & Raids: Relive seminal 5-player dungeons like Azjol-Nerub and the Culling of Stratholme, and lay siege to Naxxramas in a 10-player raid, an update of its original iteration as a 40-player raid in pre-expansion World of Warcraft.
Additionally, players will be able to create Death Knight characters during an update before the launch of the expansion. The first DK will be available with no prerequisites or restrictions, but more than one will require an existing character over level 55.
Coming from the 2008 expansion, WOW Classic players will be able to jump into World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Classic later this year.